- Language Explorer, FLEx, FieldWorks – why so many names?
- What help or training materials are available?
- Will this run on my computer?
- Can I import my Shoebox/Toolbox/LinguaLinks data?
- I can see lots of missing features. Are they on the
- Should I upgrade to a newer version?
- When will the next release be?
FieldWorks is the name of the suite of programs. Language
Explorer is one program in that suite. FLEx is Language Explorer’s nickname,
derived from its full name FieldWorks Language Explorer.
Yes, there is an integrated help file. This is available on the Help menu,
top item (Language Explorer). Alternatively, you can access context appropriate
help topics in dialog boxes via the Help button. Further, all fields have
a help link in their context menu.
In addition, there are some other materials to help you get started. These
are also available the Help menu:
- Demo movies: these give you an overview of the main features of Language
Explorer. Available online too.
- Resource documents: these are more in-depth, technical help on specific
topics (such as lexicography, morphological parsing, import, writing systems).
- Training materials: these give you a step-by step, illustrated guide through
the basic features of the program.
Finally, for technical support staff, there are documents written by the lead
developer. These can be accessed online.
Recommended system configuration
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
with Service Pack 3 or higher. It also works on the Linux O/S
- Computer and processor: Pentium IV processor running at 1.5 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
- Memory: 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of RAM
- Optical drive: an internal CD-RW drive.
Minimum system requirements
- Computer and processor: Computer with Pentium (or equivalent) at 1 gigahertz (GHz).
- Memory: 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration, project size, and custom installation choices. In a typical worst case scenario, 1.5 gigabytes are required for installation,
with a further 300 megabytes required to run the program once installed.
This can be reduced by deselecting features from the FieldWorks installer
wizard. If required supporting software is already present (for example,
the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), the required disk space is reduced. However,
if upgrading from an earlier version of FieldWorks, even more space could
be required, if you have large amounts of data (more than a few tens of
- Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3)
- Display: 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution (for laptops,
use native display resolution).
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device.
Note: The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better the
software will perform.
Language Explorer’s import capabilities are described here.
A long list of features to add is available here.
You can download the ReadMe file for the latest version. It may help you to decide whether to upgrade to that version of FieldWorks Language Explorer.
Stable releases are made available between so-called corporate releases. Stable releases are
not as thoroughly tested as corporate releases but are generally stable and
are widely used.
You can expect there to be one corporate release each year. From 2008, these
are planned for early summer.
In addition, there are interim stable releases 1-2 times per year. The latest
one is available on the Stable Release page.