This release has been superseded by a subsequent release.
- Greatly improved performance.
- FieldWorks BTE can now be updated with maintenance patches between releases; you will not need to download the entire program each time there are new bug fixes available.
- Numerous bugs have been fixed in the course of the reengineering effort.
- Backup files can include settings (e.g. dictionary configuration) and linked files (e.g. pictures) as well as data.
- Backup files now have the extension fwbackup, and a restore can be triggered by double-clicking on the fwbackup file in Windows Explorer.
- You can customize the location where you store FieldWorks projects.
- In Language Explorer:
- You can minimize sections when viewing a lexical entry.
- You can add a new list to the Lists area.
- You can add custom fields of more types (number, date, list reference, multi-paragraph.)
- Almost all dialogs in FieldWorks can now be localized.
- Since 7.0.3:
- Optimized memory use in data migration so migrating from version 6 will use less space. If you are migrating a large project, this could help.,
- Fix X Variable not inserted in an affix process rule.
- Correct crash merging allomorphs when one is blank.
- Fixed a problem with PA getting stuck in an infinite loop when entries in a project don’t contain a lexeme form.
- Use proper internal code for Mandarin and Farsi.
- Another migration error was corrected.
- Description from Lists appears in Reversal Index pane, pulled in by ‘Type’ of Primary Entry Reference.
- Corrected crash trying to open a FieldWorks Backup (Version 7)” when expects a dictionary file, but there isn’t one.
- Corrected rRandom crash trying to connect subentries to main entries, using ‘Show Subentry under'” (simplified version).
- Fixed a crash in the Grammar Area adding an inflectional affix.
- Corrected when exporting from FW (as’Configured Dictionary SFM’), the field ‘Etymology,Source’, doesn’t have a marker.
- Corrected a crash merging senses.
- Changed the fact that old analyses were staying around in Version 7.
- Corrected that a sort sequence can cause a hang in XHTML export.
- Fixed a crash modifying Interlinear Text related to a text chart modification.
- Corrected a problem where configure Dictionary could not display Minor Entry Headword or Lexeme Form in additional writing systems.
- Corrected where an item in front of the Gram. Info gets moved in Dictionary view when the “show POS before senses” setting is on.
- Changed to Sort and Filter the Reversal Indexes according to the same sort and filter criteria that are applied to the Bulk Edit Reversal Index view.
- Correct where, IPA form disappears from Lexicon and Interlinear views after a join.
- Fixed a crash exporting to Pathway and other issues where an empty TsString is unexpectedly released.
- Corrected random crash when switching from Lists to Lexicon.
- Corrected Bulk Edit where adding an inflection class wiped out the grammatical info.
- Corrected a random Prop error crash switching to Grammar, and other issues where writing out the sort-sequence file fails due to deleted objects in the list.
- Corrected crash where user was unable to open his project in 7.0.3.
- Correct problem where spell-checking causes TE to slow down.
- Correct error on line 23 – Unable to create writing system which appears when trying import interlinear XML file.
- Correct crash undoing formatting of a picture in the dictionary.
- Correct bulk edit entries crash with reordered option.
- Fixed that double-clicking on a backup to restore can result in a Hidden Restore dialogs.
- Fixed crash starting TE when Logos4 is running.
- Fixed crash in ‘Analyze’ tab area” when adding grammatical info.
- Corrected crash clicking Cancel from chooser in Affix Process Rule field.
- Correct crash of undo when deleting an allomorph.
- Correct crash pasting a string with a leading newline into a MultiUnicode field.
- Correct Lift Export with Affix Templates produces yellow box crash.
- Fixed another crash restoring an old project to version 7.
- Fixed where Flex was skipping words while glossing.
- Fixed where columns for filter were not shown after a crash.
- Corrected where a Pinyin variant was not working correctly.
- Correct a random crash using cut/paste (fix prevents some crashes, just beeps).
- Correct crash when undoing the value selected in a List reference (multiple item) custom field.
- Implement a fix to try to correct random PaneBarContainer’ crashes.
- Correct a problem of missing text titles after importing xml interlinear data.
- Data Notebook is no longer installed as a separate application. Its features and data can now be accessed in Language Explorer in the new Notebook area.
- Topics List Editor is no longer installed as a separate application. All of the list data it managed is now managed by the Lists area in Language Explorer.
- WorldPad is no longer installed with FieldWorks. WorldPad can be installed on its own if needed. Download.
- FieldWorks no longer uses SQL Server, so Microsoft SQL Server is no longer required to be installed. The FieldWorks download packages are therefore smaller, and installing FieldWorks is simpler.
- We have discontinued offering backup reminders and schedule. Please let us know if you need these features added back in.
- Sharing projects over a local area network takes an extra step. To enable sharing your projects, select File>Project Management> Project Locations and Sharing. Select the check box “Share projects stored on this computer”. See the help file for additional instructions.
- This version can be installed alongside an installation of FieldWorks 6.0.6 or earlier. This may be useful for consultants and trainers but should be used carefully by others. Make sure you only edit project data in one version, not both! More information.
- Migration problem: One project (out of many) failed to migrate properly from version 6.0. If your project does not migrate properly or you see a crash, please contact us.
- Pictures: If you insert a picture into a lexical sense, but do not add a caption in the Picture Properties dialog box, the picture may not appear in the dictionary preview pane or Dictionary until you reopen the project in FLEx.
A Full package contains .NET 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 3.1; a Minimal package does not.
Windows 7 users can use a Minimal package.
XP and Vista users will probably need to use a Full package for the first installation of FW 6.9 or 7. Pre-requisite: Vista users need to install Vista Service Pack 2 or later.
Download patch to upgrade from BTE 7.0.1 to BTE 7.0.4. (3.7 Mb)
Download patch to upgrade from BTE 7.0.2 to BTE 7.0.3. (1.8 Mb)
Download patch to upgrade from BTE 7.0.3 to BTE 7.0.4. (2.8 Mb)
Version Date: June 17, 2011
- Download one of the Full or Minimal installation packages above (or use the patch to upgrade from 7.0.1.)
- Double-click the exe file you downloaded. After it extracts files, the first installation screen appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you allow the SIL Software installer to install any required third party software it says is required.
- If you have used FieldWorks on this computer before, you will see two further steps:
- Select which if any projects you wish to migrate from FieldWorks 6.0.6 or earlier format.
- Choose whether to uninstall the last version of FieldWorks or its desktop shortcuts. Help.
For more information on upgrading to FieldWorks 7 from a previous version, see here.
To install the movies for FLEx:
Note: The movies have not yet been updated since FieldWorks 6.
- Download the movies package (206 MB).
- Double-click the msi file you downloaded.
- A progress bar appears, showing the progress of the installation.
Here is the MD5 hash of each of the download packages, should you wish to use this to verify the download completed successfully.
Instructions on downloading and installing the Linux version. The Linux version is still considered to be beta quality.