FieldWorks 8.0.4 Beta 5
Version Date: Sept. 5, 2013
This release has been superseded by a subsequent release.
This is a beta release. Please pay close attention to the Known Issues and instructions on using Send/Receive.
- Send/Receive Project – collaborate with colleagues located anywhere using Send/Receive to sync project data. (Send/Receive Lexicon to collaborate with WeSay users also improved.)
- Type ahead – type in the list reference fields to see a list of items which match what you’ve typed instead of having to use the ellipsis button!
- Bulk Edit Phoneme Features – add a Phonological Feature to multiple Phonemes at a time. Filter Phonemes by their Phonological Features.
- Complex Concordance – perform concordance searches for combinations of requirements e.g. a specific word (or gloss) followed by a word which has a specific grammatical category.
- Semantic Domain Find and Suggest – find relevant semantic domains using a find or have FLEx propose potentially relevant semantic domains based on the gloss, definition and reversal entries of the current sense. See post.
- Configure Collect Words (was Categorized Entry) – many more fields available to display in Collect Words view and ability to enter data into either lexeme or citation form, gloss or definition according to your preference.
- Configure and export Classified Dictionary – configure the fields shown in Classified Dictionary (a semantically classified list of entries) and export this view to XHTML.
- Welcome Dialog – when starting FieldWorks you are offered a number of choices including opening the last project you edited. This dialog will be shown every time unless you opt to have FieldWorks auto-open the last edited project, as it did previously.
Bugs fixed since 8.0.1
- New: Export which formats semantic domains to print out for Rapid Word Collection workshop. LT-1251
- Fixed: Save size and position of FLEx window. LT-14528
- Fixed: parser filing process keeps parser generated analyses up to date. LT-14559
- Fixed: Crash in Complex Concordance when using an apostrophe. LT-14549
- Fixed: Crash whose workaround involved running FLEx as Administrator. LT-14461
- Change: Removed legacy, unhelpful Save button. lt-14179
- Fixed: 'Show entry in concordance' jump from Lexicon. LT-14128
- Fixed: crash after removing inflection/required features. LT-13883
- Fixed: Make xhtml export use valid CSS classes. LT-14451
- Fixed: error occurred when importing a LIFT file containing components and variants. LT-14518
- Fixed: error in Find and Fix Data Utility. LT-14493
- Fixed: crash moving from Lexicon to Word List Concordance.
- Fixed: Preview and Apply buttons enabled in Bulk Edit Entries when bulk editing Inflection features. LT-14500
- Fixed: Send/Receive Lexicon problem, collaborating with WeSay. LT-14372
- Fixed: Seeing Linked Files Folder location reminder too often. LT-14484
- Fixed: Loss of data in Environments field in Lexicon. LT-14432
- Fixed: Crash after deleting a vernacular writing system. LT-14482
- Fixed: Configured Dictionary xml export contained empty minor entry elements even if Minor Entry was not set to be displayed. LT-12105
- Change: legacy Training Materials removed from Help menu and put on Lingtransoft.info. LT-14603
- Change: Resources documents on Help menu changed from Word format to PDF. LT-13599
- Fixed: Text chart to cope with sentence break changes in Baseline. LT-14369
- Fixed: Crash when using "Filter for lexical entries" jump in Notebook. LT-12154
- Fixed: Crash when interlinearizing with "Add Words to Lexicon" mode active.
Bugs fixed since 8.0.2
- This release will be MUCH better at keeping a user’s v7 configurations. LT-14650
- Allow check for FieldWorks updates from within Flex. LT-14731
- Add warning about possible data loss when merging writing systems. LT-14724
- Ctrl+Shift will bring up the settings link on the Send/Receive Project dialog box. LT-14714
- Fixed crash in Send/Receive after adding Environments to the project. LT-14711
- Fixed null reference crash in HomographFixer.FinalFixerInitialization. LT-14709
- Fixed crash with disposed object crash in Flex after S/R. LT-14697
- Fixed FlexBridge merge where two elements end up in a property that only allows one. LT-14695
- Add some safeguards to the Send/Receive process to prevent users from trashing their repositories. LT-14694
- Fixed configure Dictionary View Name after it is selected in the Manage Dictionary Views window. LT-14693
- Picture caption is now exported into Libreoffice through Pathway from lexical entries. LT-14687
- Fixed loss of data on LIFT import. LT-14684
- Fixed crash on S/R Menu when clicking on “View project Messages…” . LT-14676
- Export of Text chart to Word XML now put gloss of words with *** in gloss where they should be. LT-14663
- Fixed Internal timing or data error crash. LT-14662
- Fixed export error when sending to XHTML if grammatical info under Referenced Complex form checked. LT-14656
- Fixed shortcut key “Ctrl+Shift+J” for Leave suggestion-Jump to Next”. LT-14654
- Fixed help topic for “Feature Set”. LT-14643
- Fixed crash filtering on picture field. LT-14642
- Fixed crash sorting on picture field. LT-14641
- Fixed yellow screen crash if picture field contains invalid data. LT-14634
- Fixed chorus Merge Error when both users change morph type (and keeps other users change not mine) . LT-14630
- Fixed some font colors and custom field visibilities that were lost in upgrade. LT-14625
- Updated Chorus helps. LT-14623
- Changed message in S/R log to be less alarming. LT-14620
- Flex now informs user what to do when encountering duplicate guids. LT-14617
- Fixed out of memory error in Send/Receive. LT-14614
- After importing flextext file, the text will now show up. LT-14610
- Bold sense numbers will now pass through to Pathway. LT-14606
- Homograph numbers on referenced senses will now pass through to Pathway. LT-14605
- Training materials were removed from Help and all documents are now pdfs. LT-14602
- LIFT import now brings in entire location list. LT-14578
- Lex Gram Info in word analyses is now updated from lexical entry. LT-14574
- Fixed FLEx ‘stoppage’ when attempting to view Reversal Indexes. LT-14558
- Fixed installations that may be missing Standard Language definitions. LT-14557
- Fixed crash in Send/Receive while receiving LIFT project that you already have. LT-14556
- Prevent reversal parts of speech from producing duplicate guids. LT-14511
- Removed obsolete reference to LiftBridge from the export dialog box. LT-14495
- Project Locations and Sharing path does now reflects the FieldWorks Project Properties General tab. LT-14483
- Hooked up Help button in Custom Linked Files folder warning. LT-14468
- Keep vernacular Spelling Errors flag is as it was set. LT-14467
- Integration with Paratext is now independent of whether TE is installed. LT-14429
- After omitting a sense, subsequent senses are now renumbered in Dictionary View. LT-14264
- When cancelling from within the Welcome dialog, you are now returned to the Welcome dialog. LT-14148
- Removed “Will attempt to continue” message displayed on feedback dialogs when using shift. LT-14066
- Region name is now displayed in General tab (WS Properties) if you typed in a custom region. LT-13801
- Old default location Media files are now restored from a FW7 backup that includes them. LT-13054
- Fixed crash in Grammar, Adhoc Rules while deleting the Group (Group of Ad hoc Rules) . LT-12894
- Chorus is internationalized. LT-12744
- First word in text in wrong WS in some cases no longer blocks New Entry dialog from appearing. LT-12303
- After importing a text, focus is on that text, in the record pane in the middle. LT-12091
- Treatment of homographs is corrected in SFM import. LT-10733
- Fixed crash in the Merge Entry dialog when clicking in the column headers … . LT-9217
- Error message about Unknown Locale no longer repeats itself in an endless loop. LT-8249
Bugs fixed since 8.0.3
- Correct wrapping problem on multistring fields. LT-14865
- Show HC load errors in Try a Word。 LT-13130
- In Hermit Crab: parser, report unfound phoneme in word. LT-13288
- Warn users not to enter non-Ascii project names.
- Do not show TE Styles Dialog in FLEx. LT-14704
- Correct problem when syncing 2 projects with same named custom fields. LT-13578
- Correct crash when syncing 2 projects with same named custom lists. LT-13570
- Make WelcomeDialog Receive button check for FlexBridge install.
- Add code to prevent a second Get-Merge in repository. LT-14320
- Correct a ‘Nested Tasks are not Supported’ crash. LT-14765
- Wording change for Semantic Domain Export in Export Dialog Box.
- Correct erroneous error about Paratext being inaccesible. LT-14787
- Correct LIFT crash for new projects. LT-14779
- On Export have Semantic Domain numbers show. LT-14762
- Right-click menus re-enabled in cilomn header. LT-14784
- Reduce indentation for entry and minor entry in export.. LT-14757
- Send/Receive -> Check for Updates renamed. LT-14780
- Fix timeout in Phonology Assistant with missing project.. LT-14761
- Subsense number now appears correctly when exported. LT-14517
- Correct crash when clicking Reversal Indexes. LT-14722
- Change vernacular to analysis in a dialog string. LT-14628
- Add missing spelling menu items. LT-12343
- Correct parser crash in a specific case. LT-14560
- Cancel of importing Flextext has been corrected. LT-14628
You can collaborate on the entire project (advised) or just on the lexicon (LIFT – for use with other programs).
- The Send/Receive Lexicon option is designed for collaborating with team members who use WeSay. Using the Send/Receive Lexicon option for sharing lexical data between FLEx users when there are no WeSay users in the team is not recommended. FLEx users should use Send/Receive Project to share the full data set, rather than using the more limited Send/Receive Lexicon, which is limited to what is covered by LIFT.
- You can use both kinds of Send/Receive if you are working in a team which uses both FLEx and WeSay. In this situation, it might be easiest to have only one FLEx member use Send/Receive Lexicon, and then use the Send/Receive Project to share that data with the other FLEx team members.
You can collaborate using a USB flash drive, an Internet server or Chorus Hub (a special network folder.)
- Before using Send/Receive Internet using the default server, you need to go to languagedepot.org and create a user account. For each project you want to Send/Receive, you also need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org so they can create an online repository for you. They need the name and ISO code of the language plus whether you will be using the option Send/Receive Project (FLEx only) or Lexicon (for use with other programs).
- When using Send/Receive Internet for the first time, you need to click the Settings button before you can use it, in order to enter the details of the remote server and the project’s repository id, etc.
- To use Chorus Hub for local area network, one computer on your network needs to start the Chorus Hub program. Instructions are on the Settings dialog on the Chorus Hub tab.
Concept: all start from one copy of the project. Someone sends it. Others receive it. All can then send/receive.
Someone sends it
The person who already has the project – the master everyone is going to start working with – uses Send/Receive > Project, or Lexicon. This will create the special collaboration “repository” on the destination they choose (USB, Internet, Chorus Hub.)
- What if there were multiple copies of the project already? Can we merge them? No, not automatically. You need to do any importing or exporting you need to do to come up with a master project which is the best version of the project. Delete the now outdated copies of the FieldWorks project from other computers.
Others receive it
- The person who doesn’t yet have the (master) project uses Receive Project from a Colleague on the Welcome dialog or Send/Receive > Get Project from Colleague. This is a one-off step!
- If you want to join a Lexicon (LIFT) repository from a project you already have in FLEx, use Send/Receive > Get and Merge Lexicon with this Project. This is a one-off step!
Everyone uses send/receive to collaborate
Once the project has been sent, and each collaborator received it the first time, all collaborators can continue to work together and share data using Send/Receive > Project, or Lexicon. The settings are saved and do not need to be re-entered. There is a toolbar button which will open the Send/Receive dialog to the last type of Send/Receive you did (project or lexicon).
- Someone sends it
The Messages (a.k.a. Conflict Report) will be displayed after Send/Receive if there are new messages to review. You can also open it at any time with Send/Receive > View Project Messages, or View Lexicon Messages, as appropriate.
- Many merge-related messages are hard to understand. This is probably going to be an ongoing area of improvement, depending on feedback – how problematic the messages are in practice.
- Send/Receive does a really good job of automatically merging data when users have changed different parts of the project. When two people have edited the same or very closely related data in the same sync cycle, send/receive keeps the data entered by the current user. A conflict message is generated and includes information of the other user’s change for comparison. If you prefer the other user’s change, you will need to copy and paste the data manually into the appropriate place in FLEx; there is not yet a tool to select one change over another and have the FLEx project automatically updated.
- If one user adds word glosses to a text at the same time as another user adds word categories to it, this will not be merged conveniently because in the FLEx database these separate pieces of data are both part of a word’s analysis.
- If one user modifies an entry, sense, etc. at the same time as another user deletes that same item, send/receive will keep the modification rather than the deletion.
- If a team needs to use the global change tools in FLEx, such as Bulk Edit, merge conflicts will be reduced if the team first does a series of Send/Receives to get all sync’ed to the same state. Then one user can do the global changes, and the team then re-syncs to get those changes and continue on with their tasks.
If you have used older-style sharing over a local area network (projects have the extension fwdb), you need to turn off that way of sharing (revert to fwdata format) in order to try Send/Receive for collaborating. You can do this in File > Project Management > Project Locations and Sharing. Uncheck the box labelled “Share projects stored on this computer.”
If you want to track our progress on these and other issues, follow one of the links below and sign up for an account on our JIRA system.
- It is strongly not recommended to restore over (replacing) an existing project with which you are collaborating using send/receive. The subsequent send/receive would send a huge number of changes to all the other team members, effectively restoring the old version of the project on every team member's computer.
- You cannot have non-ASCII characters in the FLEx project name to use Send/Receive.
- The menu item "Copy (Ctrl+C)" isn’t working on the “Conflict Detail” dialog box. LT-14327
- The Text Chart is changed incorrectly (words are moved to emptied cells) after another user deletes some charted words from the text. LT-14317
- If both users edit the same phonemes, or add inflection features to the same lexical entry, the results may need subsequent editing. E.g. A phoneme may have incompatible phonological features and an entry may have incompatible inflection features.
- If you add a question or add a message to a merger conflict/notification, it is not possible to edit or delete those comments subsequently. LT-14076
- Using any Send/Receive commands in quick succession usually causes a message to pop up which claims that FLExBridge is already running. If it is not (e.g. you closed the Messages window then need to reopen them) wait for 5 seconds and try again.
- Linked media files over 1MB in size are not being transferred. No movie files of any size are being transferred. If a user subsequently removes the link to the file due to the current restrictions, the warning messages continue to be displayed at each send/receive operation if the file is still in the project folder.
- When both users change the properties of the same style, the resulting merge conflict message does not state the conflicting style settings.
Send/Receive Lexicon (LIFT) with e.g. WeSay
- Send/Receive Lexicon should not be used to pass data between two or more FLEx users. You should use Send/Receive Project.
- Send/Receive Lexicon depends on the LIFT standard. Some FLEx data is not handled well yet by this collaboration method. E.g. Which entries belong in which inflection template slots and some other morphological grammar facts stored on a lexical entry. Components of a complex form. Custom lexical relations.
- If you created a custom field in WeSay and used a previous version of LIFTBridge with FLEx (e.g. in 2012), FLEx will crash when you try to open the project. Please contact us for help. LT-13850
- The Sena 3 (sample project) link doesn't work on the new Welcome dialog box the first time the dialog opens. Workaround: Use Open and then select Sena 3. LT-14324
- Semantic Domain's Suggest feature is too prolific when there is more than one word in the Gloss field. LT-14243
- Interlinear SFM import fails with Unicode to Unicode converter. LT-13741
- Right-click menu is inappropriate for Status and Confidence fields. LT-14195
- Unicode Character Editor fails to process code points out of plane 0. LT-14263
- Python and Perl encoding converters do not work.
- Type-ahead doesn’t work on custom fields referring to custom lists. LT-13248
- To use Phonology Assistant with this version of FieldWorks, you need to upgrade Phonology Assistant to version 3.4.6.
- To use FLExTools with this version of FieldWorks, you will need to upgrade to version 1.1.4.
A Full package contains .NET 4.0 and Windows Installer 3.1; a Minimal package does not.
Users will probably need to use a Full package for the first installation of FW 8. (This does not apply to Windows® 8.)
No patch is available for this version.
- Download one of the Full or Minimal installation packages above.
- Double-click the exe file you downloaded. After it extracts files, the first installation screen appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you allow the SIL Software installer to install FLExBridge and any other required third party software it says is required.
- If you have used FieldWorks 6.0.6 or earlier on this computer before, you may see two further steps:
- Select which if any projects you wish to migrate from FieldWorks 6.0.6 or earlier format.
- Choose whether to uninstall the last version of FieldWorks or its desktop shortcuts. Help.
For more information on upgrading to FieldWorks 7 or 8 from an older version (6 or earlier), see here.
Please check the Known Issues section above.
To install the movies for FLEx:
Note: The movies have not yet been updated since FieldWorks 6.
- Download the movies package (206 MB).
- Double-click the msi file you downloaded.
- A progress bar appears, showing the progress of the installation.
After you download the sample project(s) you want, double-click each one to start the Restore in FieldWorks. If you find that your browser (e.g. I.E.) has renamed the files to .zip, you will need to rename them first to .fwbackup in order for the FieldWorks restore function to work.
Here is the MD5 hash of each of the download packages, should you wish to use this to verify the download completed successfully.
Recommended System Configuration
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Core® (or equivalent) processor running at 2.2 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
- Memory: 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM or more.
Note: The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better FieldWorks will perform, especially with larger projects.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 3 or later, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or later, Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows® 8.
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Pentium® (or equivalent) processor running at 1.5 gigahertz (GHz).
- Memory: 500 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration and custom installation choices. As a guideline figure, you should have at least 1.5 gigabytes free prior to installation. In any case, you are recommended to have at least 10% of your hard drive free in order to allow Windows to run properly.
- Display: 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution or greater (for laptops, use native display resolution).
- Offline storage: An external USB drive, network drive, or writeable CD-ROM to allow offline data backups.
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device.
FieldWorks 8.0.4 beta 5 is not available on Linux. If you are working with both Windows and Linux versions of FLEx, please use FW 8.0.3 beta 4, or later releases.
Note that data created in any version cannot be opened by any older version on either platform.
Instructions for installing the Linux version are available on the LSDev Linux wiki.
The latest stable version on Linux is FieldWorks 7.0.6.