FieldWorks 7.3 Alpha
Version Date: July 19, 2012
This is an alpha release. Please pay close attention to the testing instructions and Known Issues.
- If two users make any kinds of changes to the same paragraph of a text (e.g. one user adds a free translation for one sentence whilst another user adds a new sentence to the paragraph) ; only one user’s changes are kept. We have only added simple merge support for texts at this point. A conflict report is provided.
- Some conflict reports are very incomprehensible. Please tell us about ones you encounter that you wish were clearer (especially if you know what the conflict was.)
- When receiving a project from a colleague and browsing for their computer on a local area network, their computer might not be listed in the network Domain. If this occurs, please let us know, and, as a workaround, paste their computer name in the Look In box.
- Linked files over 1MB in size are not being transferred yet. No movie files of any size.
- If a user adds a media file above 1mb or a movie file, then subsequently removes it due to the current restrictions, the warning messages will continue to be displayed at each send/receive operation.
- When both users change the reference in a Whole lexical relation, Send/Receive currently keeps both users’ changes, and the results of the changes shown in FLEx may well be somewhat unexpected.
- When both users change the properties of the same style, the resulting conflict report is blank.
- If two users try to use Send/Receive at exactly the same moment, the operation fails for both users.
- The installation cannot be repaired or modified due to a version number bug. Workaround: uninstall and reinstall.
A Full package contains .NET 4.0 and Windows Installer 3.1; a Minimal package does not.
Users will probably need to use a Full package for the first installation of FW 7.3.
Pre-requisite: Vista users need to install Vista Service Pack 2 or later.
No patch is available for this version. Please read the Alpha testing instructions.
- Read the Alpha testing instructions.
- Download one of the Full or Minimal installation packages above.
- Double-click the exe file you downloaded. After it extracts files, the first installation screen appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you allow the SIL Software installer to install FLExBridge and any other required third party software it says is required.
- If you have used FieldWorks on this computer before, you may see two further steps:
- Select which if any projects you wish to migrate from FieldWorks 6.0.6 or earlier format.
- Choose whether to uninstall the last version of FieldWorks or its desktop shortcuts. Help.
For more information on upgrading to FieldWorks 7 from a previous version, see here.
Please check the Known Issues section above.
Here is the MD5 hash of each of the download packages, should you wish to use this to verify the download completed successfully.
Recommended System Configuration
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® 7
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Core® (or equivalent) processor running at 2.2 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
- Memory: 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM or more.
Note: The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better FieldWorks will perform, especially with larger projects.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, Windows Vista®, or Windows® 7.
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Pentium® (or equivalent) processor running at 1.5 gigahertz (GHz).
- Memory: 500 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration and custom installation choices. As a guideline figure, you should have at least 1.5 gigabytes free prior to installation. In any case, you are recommended to have at least 10% of your hard drive free in order to allow Windows to run properly.
- Display: 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution or greater (for laptops, use native display resolution).
- Offline storage: An external USB drive, network drive, or writeable CD-ROM to allow offline data backups.
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device.
A Linux version of FieldWorks 7.3.0 is not yet available.